What would breakfast be like without cinnamon rolls? My family likes them served fresh from the oven either with or without the sweet frosting. I hope your family likes them, too!
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 7-3/4 to 8-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ICING (optional):
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1/4 cup sugar in warm water. Add remaining sugar, warm milk, shortening, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; spread with butter. Roll up tightly, starting at long end. Slice into 1-in. rolls. Place in three greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking pans. Let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. If desired, make icing: Beat all ingredients until smooth and ice cooled rolls. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Sticky Cinnamon Rolls in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p55
Reviews for Sticky Cinnamon Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review