Stick-To-Your-Ribs Supper Recipe
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or smoked Polish sausage, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the green peppers, onion and mushrooms in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the sausage, water, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil Stir in the rice.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook for 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 335 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 889 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer