Stewed Zucchini and Tomatoes
A fresh take on traditional (and sometimes lackluster) vegetable sides, zucchini, tomatoes and green peppers star in this make-ahead dish. Bubbly cheddar cheese adds a down-home feel.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2/3 cup condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place zucchini in a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/2
- teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Layer with onion, green
- pepper and tomatoes. In a small bowl, combine the soup, basil and
- remaining salt and pepper; spread over tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until
- cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.