Stewed Tomatoes with Dumplings
When I was young and did not feel well, my mother made one of my favorite dishes. Just smelling it cook made me feel better, along with her tender loving care.—Viola Stutz, Greenwood, Delaware
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper and
- butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine biscuit mix and milk. Drop batter in four
- mounds onto the tomatoes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean
- (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 302 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 1,061 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.