Stewed Holiday Fruit Recipe
Dried apricots, prunes and fresh bananas are drizzled with a sweet cider and marmalade sauce in this fruity concoction from our Test Kitchen, Hints of cinnamon and citrus lend a festive zest to each cool spoonful. Serve a bowlful of this fun fruit for breakfast, snacktime or dessert.
- 12 dried apricots
- 12 dried plums
- 1-1/2 cups apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 whole allspice
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the apricots, plums, cider, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Strain cider, reserving liquid; set apricots and prunes aside. Discard spices. In a small saucepan, combine the marmalade, lemon juice, butter and reserved cider. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cool. Divide apricots, prunes and bananas among serving dishes; drizzle with cooled sauce. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup fruit with 1/4 cup sauce) equals 259 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC