- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Discard bay leaf. Combine the flour and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat. Stir in peas.
- For dumplings, combine biscuit mix, pimientos and chives in a bowl. Stir in enough milk to form a soft dough. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until dumplings test done (do not lift lid while simmering). Serve immediately. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Originally published as Stew with Confetti Dumplings in Country Woman September/October 1998, p31
Reviews for Stew with Confetti Dumplings
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review