Stew Turned into Chili Recipe
- 5 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS: (for each batch of chili):
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Sour cream and chopped green onions, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, brown beef and garlic in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- 2. Stir in the beans. Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Serve immediately, or cool slightly and freeze in 4-cup portions. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 3. To use each batch of chili Stir picante sauce and chili powder into the meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve with sour cream and green onions if desired. Yield: 4 batches of stew (16 cups total).
1 cup: 293 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 685mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein .
Reviews for Stew Turned into Chili
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.