Stew Turned into Chili Recipe
A big pot of this versatile blend from Don Trumbly of Paola, Kansas can be enjoyed two ways. As is, it's a satisfying stew brimming with tender chunks of beef, tomato and two kinds of beans. Or add picante sauce and chili powder to create a zippy chili.
- 5 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS: (for each batch of chili):
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Sour cream and chopped green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, brown beef and garlic in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Stir in the beans. Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Serve immediately, or cool slightly and freeze in 4-cup portions. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use each batch of chili Stir picante sauce and chili powder into the meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve with sour cream and green onions if desired. Yield: 4 batches of stew (16 cups total).
Originally published as Stew Turned into Chili in Quick Cooking December 2000, p44
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Stew Turned into Chili(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Stews >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >