HERE’S an easy stew that’s ready in an hour. The tender beef and colorful vegetables are perfect ingredients for a comforting meal.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 3/4 pound beef cubed steaks, cubed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and 1/4 teaspoon thyme. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Add the water, tomato sauce, broth, potato, onion, carrots, red pepper, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, garlic powder, pepper and remaining thyme.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Stir in peas. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5-10 minutes longer. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Beef Stew for Two in Reminisce Extra March 2009, p52
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Stew for Two
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review