Stew for a Crowd Recipe
- 25 pounds beef stew meat
- 5 pounds onions, diced (about 16 cups)
- 2 bunches celery, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 14 cups)
- About 5 quarts water
- 1/2 cup browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 12 bay leaves
- 15 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 16 cups)
- 10 pounds carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 24 cups)
- 10 cups frozen peas
- 10 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups milk
- 1. Divide stew meat, onions and celery among several large Dutch ovens or stockpots. Add water to fill pans half full. Add browning sauce if desired and seasonings.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Add potatoes and carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Add peas and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. Combine flour and enough milk to achieve a creamy, smooth paste; gradually add to stew. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 120 (1-cup) servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 244 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.