- 25 pounds beef stew meat
- 5 pounds onions, diced (about 16 cups)
- 2 bunches celery, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 14 cups)
- About 5 quarts water
- 1/2 cup browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup salt
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 12 bay leaves
- 15 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 16 cups)
- 10 pounds carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 24 cups)
- 10 cups frozen peas
- 10 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 to 4 cups milk
- Divide stew meat, onions and celery among several large kettles. Add water to fill kettles half full. Add browning sauce if desired and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Add potatoes and carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add peas and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Combine flour and enough milk to achieve a creamy, smooth paste; gradually add to stew. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 120 (1-cup) servings.
Originally published as Stew for a Crowd in Taste of Home February/March 1998, p54
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Stew for a Crowd(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >