- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaves.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Add corn and peas. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Stephanie’s Slow Cooker Stew
"I like this recipe a lot -- but I always add a lot more potatoes than it calls for. My family thinks that two potatoes isn't enough."
"Very good! Liked the thyme and chili powder. Used R.W. Knudsen's organtic Very Veggie ( much better tasting than V8). Also added some green beans. Freezes well."
"This is the best beef stew ever! It's the only one my daughter will eat and I make it at least twice a month in the winter. I make it with my own homemade tomato juice. Add a piece of homemade bread, and I'm in heaven!!"
"This is a very good stew recipe. I browned the beef before adding to the crock pot and used less sodium beef broth and omitted the salt due to others reviews and am also on low salt diet, this tasted great, I didn't thicken the stew, I left it soup like and it was wonderful, makes a nice amount for 2 people for leftovers and to freeze for later. Thank You!"
"Very good. My husband loved it, and I had all the ingredients on hand. I will make again."
"My family loved it-will definitely make it again!"
"This was very good. Be sure to give it time to cool down before eating!"
"This was a very tasty stew. I did leave out the celery. Will make again."
"I make a very similar recipe, except substitute about 2 or 3 TBSP, Minute Tapioca for the cornstarch and add it at the same time as everything else."
"The perfect beef stew!"