Steamed Vegetable Ribbons
These extra-thin slices of zucchini and carrot add a pretty touch to a dinner, place, confirms our Test Kitchen staff.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 large carrots
- 8 small zucchini
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Trim ends from the carrots and zucchini. Use a vegetable peeler to
- make long thin strips down the length of each carrot and zucchini,
- making long ribbons.
- Place carrots in a steamer basket. Place in a large saucepan over 1
- in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 2 minutes. Add
- zucchini; cover and steam 2-3 minutes longer or until vegetables are
- tender. Transfer vegetables to a bowl. Add the lemon juice, oil,
- salt and pepper; toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 43 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable.