Steamed Mussels with Peppers Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional clam juice
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- French bread baguette, sliced, optional
- 1. Tap mussels; discard any that do not close. Set aside. In a large skillet, saute jalapeno in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the clam juice, wine, red pepper, green onions, oregano and bay leaf.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add mussels. Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mussels open. Discard bay leaf and any unopened mussels. Sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper. Serve with baguette slices if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
12 each: 293 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 931mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Steamed Mussels with Peppers
"My husband's word, Incredible! I have been doing steamed mussels for years and this is great. I am looking forward to make this again when all the kids and grandkids are here. Janet. VFE"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.