Steamed Lemon Broccoli Recipe
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into spears
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a saucepan, bring 1 in. water to a boil; place broccoli in a steamer basket over the water. Cover; steam for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon peel and juice, salt if desired, pepper and broccoli; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with reduced-fat margarine and without salt) equals 105 calories, 6 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.