Steamed Lemon Broccoli
I first tried this sunny side dish because it seemed to be a fresh, nutritious and easy combination. Now it's the only way my husband will eat broccoli. I love to pair it with grilled meat on hot days.
-Michelle Hanson, Oacoma, South Dakota
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into spears
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, bring 1 in. water to a boil; place broccoli in a
- steamer basket over the water. Cover; steam for 5-6 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic in butter until
- vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon peel and
- juice, salt if desired, pepper and broccoli; heat through. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced-fat margarine and without salt) equals 105 calories, 6 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.