You’ll find a wonderful accompaniment to most any entree in Mary Bilyeu's good-for-you Steamed Kale, which is packed with vitamins. The Ann Arbor, Michigan cook uses garlic, red pepper and balsamic vinegar to keep her family coming back for more!
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Trim kale, discarding the thick ribs and stems. Chop leaves. In a
- Dutch oven, saute kale leaves in oil until wilted. Add garlic; cook
- 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the water, salt and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until kale is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 61 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.