Steamed Hawaiian Bread Recipe
This unique steaming method produces a moist and flavorful loaf of bread without overheating your kitchen. You’ll love the mild sweetness of banana and coconut. Roxanne Chan - Albany, CA
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min. + standing YIELD:6 servings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the coconut milk, honey, banana and extract; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a 2-cup stoneware dish or bowl coated with cooking spray; cover with foil.
- 2. Place on a rack in a deep kettle; add 1 in. of hot water to kettle. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, adding more water as needed.
- 3. Remove dish from kettle; let stand for 15 minutes before removing bread from dish. Yield: 1 loaf (6 wedges).
1 wedge equals 197 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC