Steamed Cranberry Pudding with Hard Sauce Recipe
Topped with a rich buttery sauce, this fruity molded pudding was an ideal end to our meal. The traditional dessert brought back memories for many whose mothers and grandmothers prepared similar delicacies. —David Bostedt, Zephryhills, Florida
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- HARD SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter,cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar; beat in eggs and molasses. Combine dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in the cranberries. Pour into a well-greased and floured 6-cup heat-proof mold. Cover tightly with a double layer of foil. Place on a rack in a deep kettle. Fill kettle with boiling water to a depth of 1 in.; cover kettle and boil gently. Replace water as needed.
- 2. Steam about 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before unmolding. Let pudding cool 30 minutes before slicing.
- 3. For hard sauce, combine sugar, butter and cream in a saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve pudding and sauce warm. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 piece: 430 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Steamed Cranberry Pudding with Hard Sauce
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC