Steamed Cranberry Pudding with Hard Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- HARD SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter,cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar; beat in eggs and molasses. Combine dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in the cranberries. Pour into a well-greased and floured 6-cup heat-proof mold. Cover tightly with a double layer of foil. Place on a rack in a deep kettle. Fill kettle with boiling water to a depth of 1 in.; cover kettle and boil gently. Replace water as needed.
- Steam about 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before unmolding. Let pudding cool 30 minutes before slicing.
- For hard sauce, combine sugar, butter and cream in a saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve pudding and sauce warm. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Steamed Cranberry Pudding in Taste of Home December/January 1997, p37
Reviews for Steamed Cranberry Pudding with Hard Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review