Steamed Brown Bread
New Englanders cherish old recipes, which have been passed down to them from generation to generation. For fun we dug up some old family recipe books and found a traditional recipe we thought Reminisce readers would enjoy. Nothing beats homemade brown bread accompanied by a pot of beans.
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, cornmeal, baking soda and
- salt. Combine buttermilk and molasses; stir into dry ingredients.
- Pour into two greased 10-oz. ramekins or custard cups; cover with
- Place ramekins on a rack in a deep kettle; add 1 in. of hot water to
- kettle. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 35-45 minutes or
- until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, adding
- more water as needed.
- Remove ramekins from kettle; let stand for 5 minutes before removing
- bread from ramekins.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 716 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 2,053 mg sodium,