Steamed Brown Bread Recipe
New Englanders cherish old recipes, which have been passed down to them from generation to generation. For fun we dug up some old family recipe books and found a traditional recipe we thought Reminisce readers would enjoy. Nothing beats homemade brown bread accompanied by a pot of beans.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. Combine buttermilk and molasses; stir into dry ingredients. Pour into two greased 10-oz. ramekins or custard cups; cover with foil.
- 2. Place ramekins on a rack in a deep kettle; add 1 in. of hot water to kettle. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, adding more water as needed.
- 3. Remove ramekins from kettle; let stand for 5 minutes before removing bread from ramekins. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 716 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 2053mg sodium, 153g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 7g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Steamed Brown Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC