- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, cornmeal, baking soda and salt. Combine buttermilk and molasses; stir into dry ingredients. Pour into two greased 10-oz. ramekins or custard cups; cover with foil.
- Place ramekins on a rack in a deep kettle; add 1 in. of hot water to kettle. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and steam for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, adding more water as needed.
- Remove ramekins from kettle; let stand for 5 minutes before removing bread from ramekins. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Steamed Brown Bread in Reminisce Extra September 2008
Reviews for Steamed Brown Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review