Steaks with Shallot Sauce
WE have hearty beef eaters in our family and this recipe is always a winner. Freshly cracked pepper really brings out the flavor and the touch of vinegar and Worcestershire sauce make these steaks perfect.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup sliced shallots or green onions
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Saute shallots in 1 tablespoon butter in a small skillet until
- tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until liquid
- is reduced to about 1 tablespoon. Stir in vinegar and Worcestershire
- sauce; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1-1/2
- teaspoons butter. Cover and keep warm.
- Sprinkle steaks with pepper. In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil
- and remaining butter until meat reaches desired doneness (for
- medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°;
- well-done, 170°). Serve with shallot sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.