Steaks with Peppery Onions
Dee Faulding of Santa Barbara, California brings zest to the meal with this recipe. The name couldn't be more fitting as skillet-cooked ribeyes get a burst of flavor from caramelized onions seasoned with black pepper, garlic and salt.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 beef ribeye steaks (6 ounces each)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onions, salt and pepper
- in oil and butter for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden
- brown, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Meanwhile, broil steaks 3-4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each
- side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat
- thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done,
- 170°). Serve with onion mixture.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.