Steaks with Molasses-Glazed Onions Recipe
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 2 beef top sirloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon molasses
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons drippings in skillet and 1-1/2 teaspoons drippings in a small bowl. Set bowl aside.
- 2. Sprinkle steaks with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In skillet, cook steaks over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Add onion and reserved drippings to the skillet; saute until tender. Add vinegar, molasses and remaining salt and pepper; heat through. Serve onion mixture with steaks; sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 370 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 837mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 40g protein.
Reviews for Steaks with Molasses-Glazed Onions
"Cooked this for our 14th anniversary on Feb. 14, with baked potatoes and homemade peanut butter pie. Loved it! Going to make this again tonight!"
"These were sooo good! I added mushrooms with the onions. I did find it a little too peppery, but I was eating it my itself and without any sides, so that could make a difference. Will definitely make again and again!"
"A delicious way to cook a steak. We used a different cut and for the kids we did burger patties. Onions were just amazing. We'll definately be making this again. We served it with the potato fan and herbed asparagus on the side."
"I love this, the onions really make it. I have also used the same recipe but used chicken instead of steak. Both are so delicious make it about twice a week sometimes adding more vinegar and molasses as a sauce."
"I added mushrooms!"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.