This meatless casserole is one of my all-time favorites. Loaded with mushrooms and draped in a reich sauce, it's a home-style side dish that will have everyone scooping up seconds.—Rosemary Janz, Concord, North Carolina
- 2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in batches in 1/4 cup butter until mushrooms are tender and liquid is evaporated. In a large bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk, parsley, lemon juice, salt and paprika. Add mushrooms and stir until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Melt remaining butter; stir in cracker crumbs until blended. Sprinkle over mushroom mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and topping is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Steakhouse Mushroom Casserole in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2010, p51
Reviews for Steakhouse Mushroom Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review