Steak with Three Peppers Recipe
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 each medium sweet red, yellow and orange peppers, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons cornstarch and sugar. Stir in 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sherry or broth, additional broth, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and hot pepper sauce until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In another bowl, combine the remaining cornstarch, soy sauce and sesame oil until smooth. Transfer to a large resealable plastic bag; add beef. Turn gently to coat; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. In a large nonstick skillet or work, stir-fry beef in 1 teaspoon hot canola oil for 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In same skillet, stir-fry the peppers, onion and ginger in remaining canola oil for 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; stir 1 minute longer.
- 4. Stir reserved soy sauce mixture until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the lettuce, water chestnuts and reserved beef. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until heated through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cups stir-fry mixture, calculated without rice) equals 306 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 489 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.