Steak with Mushroom Sauce
In Spokane, Washington, Gloria Holmdahl sautes mushrooms with sliced onions and minced garlic, then creates an unforgettable sauce that perfectly complements her pan-fried steaks.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 boneless beef top loin steaks (8 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle both sides of steaks with flour. In a large skillet, cook
- steaks in oil to desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat
- thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done,
- 170°). Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the
- mushrooms, onions and garlic until tender, adding additional oil if
- necessary. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Add the
- broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; boil for 6 minutes or until
- sauce is reduced by half. For two people, serve two steaks with
- 1-1/2 cups sauce. Save the remaining steaks and sauce for Steak and
- Mushroom Soup and Steak Hash (recipes on next page).
- Yield: 4 steaks (3 cups sauce).
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as