Steak Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds beef eye round roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 sprigs celery leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add oil. Brown beef and onion. Combine flour, paprika, salt and pepper; sprinkle over beef and mix well. Stir in stock and water. Add bay leaf, parsley, celery leaves and marjoram. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 1 hour or until tender.
- 2. Add the potatoes, carrots and celery. Simmer, covered, for 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and soup begins to thicken. Stir in tomato paste; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 319 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1112mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Steak Soup
"Easy to make and very tasty on a cold day."
"Two large slices of eye of round were wearing out their welcome in my freezer which is the reason I searched for and tried this recipe, never really thinking this cut of meat would work for a tasty soup. Even down to the tasting prior to adding the tomato paste, I wasn't impressed so I added 1 teaspoon of chili powder. Adding the tomato paste made a huge difference in the taste of this soup and we really liked it. I did brown the meat in a dutch oven but transferred it to a crockpot; adding the veggies late allowed them to retain some crispness. I make soup all year round so always need good recipes and my husband agrees this one is a "keeper." I think chuck would be better than eye of round however."
"This tasted like an average beef stew but cost more to make. It isn't bad, just not worth the trouble and expense."
"Great recipe! I don't have celery so I left it out and the soup still tastes great."
"Didn't make our favorite list. sc"