Steak San Marino Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef top round steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into six pieces
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the carrots, celery, tomato sauce, garlic, bay leaf, Italian seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice.
- 3. Freeze option: Place cooked steak and vegetables in freezer containers; top with sauce. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
3 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 cup rice and 1/3 cup sauce equals 286 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.