Steak Potpie Recipe
- 3/4 cup sliced onions
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch ground allspice
- Pinch ground ginger
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- Pastry for single-crust pie
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onions in 2 tablespoons oil until golden. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine dry ingredients; add meat and shake to coat. Brown meat in remaining oil in the same skillet. Add water; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- 3. Add potatoes; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with onion slices. Roll pastry to fit baking dish. Place over hot filling; seal to edges of dish. Make slits in the crust.
- 4. Bake at 450° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. If necessary, cover edges of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 422 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 551mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein .
Reviews for Steak Potpie
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.