Steak Pot Pie Recipe
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, pepper and paprika; add beef, a few pieces at a time. Seal bag and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion in oil until beef is browned and onion is tender. Add broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 3. Uncover; stir in the potatoes. Cook until heated through. Spoon meat mixture into a greased 7-in. pie plate or 2-cup baking dish.
- 4. For the crust, in a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 5. Roll out pastry to fit baking dish. Use a small cookie cutter to cut a shape in the center of the pastry; place pastry over meat mixture. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of dish; flute edges. Brush with milk.
- 6. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned on edges. Yield: 2 servings.
1 piece: 933 calories, 54g fat (19g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 2303mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 37g protein
Reviews for Steak Pot Pie
"Great simple recipe! So tasty! Here's how I've adjusted it-I use my leftover roasts. I chop them into bite size pieces and put them in with everything else from the recipe. I also add a cup of frozen vegetables like corn, peas and carrots."
"This was very good."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.