Steak Lo Mein Recipe
- 1 pound beef top round steak, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrots, partially cooked
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 15 fresh snow pea pods, trimmed
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 ounces thin spaghetti, cooked and drained
- 1. Freeze steak just until firm; slice diagonally across grain into 1/4-in. strips.
- 2. Combine the cornstarch, bouillon, water and soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- 3. In a wok or large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add meat and garlic; stir-fry until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Remove meat to a platter.
- 4. Add the cabbage, carrots, onion, mushrooms, celery and green onions; stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Add pea pods and water chestnuts; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add meat.
- 5. Stir bouillon mixture and pour into skillet; cook and stir until thickened. Gently toss in spaghetti and heat through for 1 minute. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving equals 329 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 834 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-3/4 starch, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.