“My husband and I enjoyed this recipe for so many years,” recalls Vera Kleiber in Raleigh, North Carolina. “The sauce is wonderful, and the dish always brings back memories.”
Recommended: 32 Super Steak Recipes
- 3/4 pound boneless beef top round steak
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) tomato juice
- 1/2 cup diced canned tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Cut steak into two pieces; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using a mallet, pound flour into the meat. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on both sides. Transfer to a shallow 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour over meat. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Swiss Steak in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005, p39
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Steak in Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review