My husband and I love to have just appetizers for dinner so the mini sandwich was the perfect thing to make since I could use one of the steaks in the freezer. My husband went nuts over it and said it was the best thing I have ever made for him.—Amy Chase, Vanderhoof, British Columbia
- 16 slices sourdough baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 boneless beef top loin steak (1 inch thick and 10 ounces)
- BLUE CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons whiskey
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place baguette slices on an ungreased baking sheet; brush with oil. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Rub toasted sides with garlic halves; set aside.
- Place tomatoes in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with vinegar and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 pepper; toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 5-7 minutes or until softened, stirring once.
- Sprinkle steak with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook steak for 6-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Add whiskey; cook over medium heat until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add blue cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Thinly slice beef; arrange over baguette slices. Top with tomatoes and drizzle with sauce. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Steak Crostini with Roasted Tomatoes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p17
Reviews for Steak Crostini with Roasted Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review