- 1-1/2 pounds beef eye round roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium V8 juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large skillet, brown steak until meat is no longer pink. Drain, discarding all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Set meat aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic in drippings for 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Return meat to pan. Add the tomato sauce, 1 cup water, V8 juice, hot pepper sauce and spices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2-1/2 hours.
- Combine flour with remaining water; whisk into chili. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cook 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Steak Chili in Country Woman January/February 1996, p36
Reviews for Steak Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 12, 2010
"Regarding the comment about when to add the steak to the pan - it states in the second paragraph to return the meat to the pan after the onion and garlic are sauteed.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
Reviewed Mar. 11, 2010
"Recipe states set steak aside then doesn't state when to add steak to recipe."