- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, seasoning blend and pepper; add beef cubes and shake to coat. In a skillet over medium heat, brown beef in oil. Place beef and drippings in a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- To skillet, add water, broth, garlic, onion, thyme and rosemary; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes; stir in mushrooms. Pour over meat; mix well.
- Cover and bake 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle peas over meat. Spread potatoes evenly over top. Brush with butter; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 15-20 minutes longer. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Party Beef Casserole in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 2000, p119
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Steak Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 8, 2013
"Great recipe! My entire family loved it! The only thing I changed was using a gluten free flour and left out the rosemary."
Reviewed Jun. 4, 2009
"great recipe, loved it"