Steak au Poivre for 2 Recipe
With the punch of peppercorns and a smooth, beefy sauce, this steak is delicious. You'll love the hint of sweetness the bittersweet chocolate adds to the savory meat. —Crystal Bruns, Iliff, Colorado
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (1 inch thick and 5 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon whole white or black peppercorns, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup port wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Rub steaks with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with peppercorns and salt. In a skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add steaks; cook 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove and keep warm.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot; cook and stir about 1 minute or until tender. Add wine and vinegar, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in consomme and rosemary; bring to a boil. Add chocolate; cook and stir until melted and sauce is slightly thickened. Serve with steaks. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Steak au Poivre for 2 in Country Woman June/July 2010, p37
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Steak au Poivre for 2(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinners >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Steak Dinner >
- Steak Recipes >