Steak and Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds lean round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 sprigs celery leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 can (6 ounces) low sodium tomato paste
- 1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; add oil. Brown beef and onions. Combine the flour, paprika, and pepper; sprinkle over beef and mix well. Stir in stock and water. Add bay leaf, parsley, celery leaves and marjoram. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
- 2. Add the potatoes, carrots and celery. Cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and soup begins to thicken. Stir in tomato paste; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1/6 recipe equals 325 calories, 14 g fat (0 saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.