This has been a favorite family recipe for many years. I first used it in the 1960s. It makes any meal special.
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon onion soup mix
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and pepper in butter until tender. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in the rice, pimientos, thyme and marjoram.
- Cut steak into six pieces; flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Spread evenly with mushroom mixture; roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- In the same skillet, brown roll-ups in oil on all sides. Add soup mix and water; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender, occasionally spooning cooking liquid over roll-ups.
- Thicken cooking juices if desired; serve with roll-ups. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Steak and Rice Roll-Ups in Country December/January 2008, p49
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Steak and Rice Roll-Ups
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review