Steak and Onion Pie Recipe
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Pie pastry (9 to 10 inches)
- In a Dutch oven, lightly brown onion in oil. Meanwhile, combine the flour, allspice, salt, pepper and ginger in a large resealable plastic bag. Place meat cubes in the bag, a few pieces at a time, and shake well to coat.
- Remove onion and set aside. Brown beef on all sides. Add water; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, carrots and reserved onions; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in peas; cook for 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- Spoon meat mixture into a 9-in. square baking dish. Roll pastry out to a 10-in. square; place over meat mixture and seal edges to pan. Cut several small steam vents in crust. Bake at 450° for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Steak and Onion Pie(1)
Sort By :
The addition of carrots and peas makes this better than other steak and onion pie recipes I've tried, plus the meal as a whole is easier to make since you need to make one less side dish that way.