State Fair Subs
My college roommate and I first ate these meaty sandwiches at the Iowa State Fair. After a little experimenting, we re-created the recipe. We ate the subs often because they were fast to fix between classes and didn't break our next-to-nothing grocery budget. They're priced right at 91¢ per serving.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound unsliced) French bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom of
- loaf, leaving a 1-in. shell. Cube removed bread. In a large bowl,
- beat the eggs, milk, pepper and salt. Add bread cubes and toss to
- coat; set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion until the meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Add to the bread mixture. Spoon filling
- into bread shells; sprinkle with cheese. wrap each in foil. Bake at
- 400° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into
- serving-size slices. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 622 calories, 36 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 159 mg cholesterol, 1,280 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.