State Fair Subs Recipe
My college roommate and I first ate these meaty sandwiches at the Iowa State Fair. After a little experimenting, we re-created the recipe. We ate the subs often because they were fast to fix between classes and didn't break our next-to-nothing grocery budget. They're priced right at 91¢ per serving. —Christi Ross Mill Creek, Oklahoma
- 1 loaf (1 pound unsliced) French bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaf, leaving a 1-in. shell. Cube removed bread. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, pepper and salt. Add bread cubes and toss to coat; set aside.
- 2. In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to the bread mixture. Spoon filling into bread shells; sprinkle with cheese. wrap each in foil. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into serving-size slices. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 622 calories, 36 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 159 mg cholesterol, 1,280 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for State Fair Subs
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC