State Fair Subs Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound unsliced) French bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaf, leaving a 1-in. shell. Cube removed bread. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, pepper and salt. Add bread cubes and toss to coat; set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to the bread mixture. Spoon filling into bread shells; sprinkle with cheese. wrap each in foil. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into serving-size slices. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for State Fair Subs(7)
Sort By :
I made this a few years ago with minor changes. I used a combination of Italian sausage and breakfast sausage and I used mozzarella and Colby jack cheese. Family loved it
These were a big hit! Everybody loved them and they were very easy to make. I made a few minor changes: I used hoagie buns, Italian sausage and a cheddar/mozzarella blend.
This is one my favortie recipes. I like to use the Jimmy Dean maple flavor sausage.
very bland I was very disappointed because it looked so good.
I served this dish for for a snack and everyone really enjoyed it. I did use Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage, so it kinda had a breakfast flair to it, but it was delicious. Next time I will use Italian sausage to give it more of a sub taste that you would buy at a fair.