Start-Right Strata Recipe
- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 4 breakfast turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1. Place bread in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. In a small nonstick skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon over bread. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg substitute and sour cream. Stir in cheese. Pour over the meat mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa.
- 4. Or before refrigerating, cover and freeze strata for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen strata: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake according to directions. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece with 1 tablespoon salsa equals 247 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 580 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Start-Right Strata
"kids didn't like it but it is easy to make the night beforeand I would take it to a brunch."
"I decided to make this casserole to use up some day-old bread. I've made it several times and always double or triple the recipe because my family of 7 enjoys it so much."