- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 4 breakfast turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Place bread in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon over bread. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg substitute and sour cream. Stir in cheese. Pour over the meat mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa.
- Or before refrigerating, cover and freeze strata for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen strata: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake according to directions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Start-Right Strata in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009, p47
Reviews for Start-Right Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2012
"kids didn't like it but it is easy to make the night beforeand I would take it to a brunch."