“I substituted reduced-fat ingredients and reworked this recipe to fit my diet…and my tastes!” Served with melon or grapes on the side, it's ideal for overnight guests. Cecile Brown - Chillicothe, Texas
- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 4 breakfast turkey sausage links, casings removed, crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Place bread in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon over bread. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg substitute and sour cream. Stir in cheese. Pour over the meat mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa.
- Or before refrigerating, cover and freeze strata for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen strata: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake according to directions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Start-Right Strata in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009, p47
Reviews for Start-Right Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review