These Mexican-style snacks will surely add sparkle to a slumber party spread! To make them, our home economists lined muffin cups with tortilla shells, then filled each with a not-too-spicy beef mixture kids can garnish with cheese, lettuce and other toppings. For tasty dippers besides, you could serve the cutout stars with salsa.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 flour tortillas (7 inches)
- Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese and/or sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the salsa, ketchup, chili powder and salt; heat through.
- Cut each tortilla into a 4-in. square; set scraps aside. Microwave eight squares at a time for 20 seconds. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of greased muffin cups; set aside.
- Cut tortilla scraps into stars with a 1-in. cookie cutter; place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 6 minutes or until golden brown; set aside.
- Fill each tortilla cup with 2 tablespoons meat mixture. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tortillas are golden brown. Serve with toppings of your choice; garnish with toasted stars. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Starry Night Taco Cups in Country Woman January/February 2000, p19
Reviews for Starry Night Taco Cups
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 27, 2014
"These were a big hit! I want to try in mini cupcake tin next. Make 2" squares. They could be filled with lots of different fillings as well. The options are limitless! We used ground venison in place of beef. A winner!!"
Reviewed Sep. 2, 2011