Star-Studded Blueberry Pie
Family and friends say this pleasing pie is better than a popular one served at a local restaurant. If desired, use gooseberries for half of the blueberries.
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice
- and salt; toss gently. Let stand for 15 minutes. Line a 9-in. pie
- plate with bottom pastry; add filling. Dot with butter; flute edges.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until set. Cool on a wire
- From remaining pastry, cut out 15 large stars with a 2-in. cookie
- cutter and 15 small stars with a 1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place on an
- ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until
- golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Randomly place stars
- over cooled pie. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 424 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium,