Star-Spangled Shortcake Recipe
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Fill six greased star-shaped cups or muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the strawberries and blueberries; sprinkle with sugar and gently toss to coat.
- 3. Cool shortcakes for 10 minutes before carefully removing from pan to a wire rack. Drizzle vinegar over berries; toss to coat. Top each shortcake with a scoop of ice cream and berry mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 267 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Star-Spangled Shortcake
"This is fantastic! If you have never tried balsamic strawberries before, do it, they are so good. I crave them. This recipe is excellent!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.