Star-Spangled Shortcake Recipe
Celebrate Independence Day with this patriotic treat dreamed up by our home economists. Star-shaped corn muffins are terrific when topped with ice cream and colorful berries.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions. Fill six greased star-shaped cups or muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the strawberries and blueberries; sprinkle with sugar and gently toss to coat.
- Cool shortcakes for 10 minutes before carefully removing from pan to a wire rack. Drizzle vinegar over berries; toss to coat. Top each shortcake with a scoop of ice cream and berry mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Star-Spangled Shortcake in Quick Cooking July/August 2005, p23
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Star-Spangled Shortcake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2012
This is fantastic! If you have never tried balsamic strawberries before, do it, they are so good. I crave them. This recipe is excellent!
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Blueberry Cake Recipes >
- Blueberry Desserts >
- Blueberry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easy Desserts >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >