Star of the North Pasties Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening or lard
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cubed uncooked potatoes
- 1/2 cup cubed uncooked rutabagas
- 1/2 cup cubed uncooked carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef or diced beef top sirloin steak, browned
- 1. Mix together first three ingredients; cut in shortening to form particles the size of large peas. Gradually add milk and mix just enough to make mixture stick together. Lightly shape dough into four balls; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine vegetables and meat. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a circle. Place one-fourth of the vegetable/meat mixture on one side of each circle; brush edge of crust with water and fold half the dough over filling. Press edges together to seal. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and prick tops with a fork. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 588 calories, 31 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 409 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.