Star of the North Pasties Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening or lard
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cubed uncooked potatoes
- 1/2 cup cubed uncooked rutabagas
- 1/2 cup cubed uncooked carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound ground beef or diced beef top sirloin steak, browned
- Mix together first three ingredients; cut in shortening to form particles the size of large peas. Gradually add milk and mix just enough to make mixture stick together. Lightly shape dough into four balls; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine vegetables and meat. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a circle. Place one-fourth of the vegetable/meat mixture on one side of each circle; brush edge of crust with water and fold half the dough over filling. Press edges together to seal. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and prick tops with a fork. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Star of the North Pasties(1)
Sort By :
I grew up in Northern Michigan. This is close to pasties, but too much dough. A true pastie is more filling, less dough. But at least it uses lard...there is no substitute for that.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >